Introduction to Adaptive Leadership for Technical Communities
Want us to come to you?
Request that we bring this workshop to your city or organization. You can also contact us directly.
Have you ever encountered issues in your community you wanted to help solve but didn’t know how? Then this workshop is for you!
Learn how to use adaptive leadership whether or not you hold formal authority to mobilize people in your community, organization, or company to tackle and solve tough challenges.
First, you’ll learn how to distinguish technical problems (those which have a known solution) from adaptive challenges (those which do not have a known solution).
Second, you’ll learn how to effectively respond to adaptive challenges with a practical 3-step framework: observing, interpreting and intervening.
Agenda & Format
This workshop is 3 hours, with sufficient breaks. Water and light snacks provided.
The workshop will be highly participatory (in an introvert-friendly way) and includes a mix of presentation, discussion, small group work and guided reflection. We know learning is highest when you’re engaged.
Who will benefit from this workshop and how?
All those working with others to create technology in a community, team, organization, or company setting will benefit from this workshop by enhancing their ability to guide those they lead in tackling the tough challenges of communal work. This includes:
- Team leads, managers, and community organizers.
- Founders and maintainers of open source projects and events as well as their core contributors.
- Those running open source foundations and trade associations (e.g. Python Software Foundation, Linux Foundation, etc.).
- Start-up founders who recognize the value of building resilient organizations sooner rather than later.
You do not need to hold a formal position of authority in order to participate and benefit from this workshop. Anyone can learn and practice adaptive leadership.
What problems will I be better able to solve after taking this workshop?
After completing this workshop, you’ll be better able to:
- Surface and resolve the conditions that are causing your team to under perform.
- Navigate conflict around community norms and values (such as arguments about adopting a code of conduct).
- Listen in a way that leaves people feeling heard and integrate varying points of view into a coherent plan for moving forward.
- Build and sustain a culture that’s inclusive of those from diverse backgrounds.
- Understand, support, and work effectively with colleagues who are different than you.
- Mindfully build your organization to create the outcomes you intend and meet the goals you set.
- Respond, recover and rebuild after a crisis such as the sudden vacancy of a key role, embezzlement, a community fracture, or a public relations disaster, and more.
The workshop price is $140.
Because we do not want financial means to be the determining factor for whether or not someone can participate, Authentic Engine workshops are priced using a sliding scale. Use discount codes MIDDLE and LOWEST to purchase a sliding scale ticket according to your circumstances.
This workshop is open to the public. There are no attendance requirements other than to buy a ticket and follow the Authentic Engine Code of Conduct.
Each workshop is limited to 20 participants to ensure an optimal learning experience.
You may cancel your registration within 48 hours of purchase for a full refund. Refunds are not available after that, but you may transfer your ticket to another person up to 3 days before the workshop.