Community-Focused Event Design & Planning
Do you want to design and produce awesome tech events for your community? From hackathons to multi-track, multi-day events, this workshop will show you how!
Learn everything you need to know to design and produce a successful community-oriented tech or developer event.
First, you’ll learn how to clarify your goals, select a matching event format, and assemble your organizing team.
Second, you’ll learn the formula for your type of event is and how to apply it to your specific circumstances.
Each participant gets a copy of our event planning workbook.
Agenda & Format
This workshop is 3 hours, with sufficient breaks. Water and light snacks provided.
The workshop will be highly participatory (in an introvert-friendly way) and includes a mix of presentation, discussion, small group work and guided reflection. We know learning is highest when you’re engaged.
Who will benefit from this workshop and how?
All those working to build technical communities through in-person gatherings will benefit from this workshop by learning how to deepen the relationship between your community or product and your customers, developers, and other stakeholders through cost-effective, authentic events. This includes:
- community managers and organizers for technical and open source communities
- technical evangelists and developer advocates
- marketing managers and staff
- those tasked with organizing internal company events and retreats
What problems will I be better able to solve after taking this workshop?
After completing this workshop, you’ll be better able to:
- Plan and produce your event successfully and with confidence.
- Articulate your goals and structure your event to meet those goals.
- Assemble your planning team and facilitate effective communication among them.
- Maximize the number of positive, meaningful interactions between participants at your events.
- Mindfully craft event spaces that are welcoming to people of diverse backgrounds.
- Ensure the sustainability your event through proper fundraising, documentation and succession planning.
- Create a plan for the unexpected so you can respond and recover.
The workshop price is $140.
Because we do not want financial means to be the determining factor for whether or not someone can participate, Authentic Engine workshops are priced using a sliding scale. Use discount codes MIDDLE and LOWEST to purchase a sliding scale ticket according to your circumstances.
This workshop is open to the public. There are no attendance requirements other than to buy a ticket and follow the Authentic Engine Code of Conduct.
Each workshop is limited to 20 participants to ensure an optimal learning experience.
You may cancel your registration within 48 hours of purchase for a full refund. Refunds are not available after that, but you may transfer your ticket to another person up to 3 days before the workshop.