Because we do not want financial means to be the determining factor for whether or not someone can participate, Authentic Engine workshops are priced using a sliding scale. That is, they are available at multiple price points based on the circumstances of the purchaser.
We offer three different costs for each workshop: Highest, middle and lowest.
The highest price is the actual cost of the workshop. This price covers the expenses of hosting the workshop as well as compensation for the workshop leader(s). This is what we would charge all workshop participants if we did not offer sliding scale.
The middle and lowest prices represent a deliberate choice to include people who would otherwise be excluded because of their economic realities. These seats are not subsidized though other funding (e.g. sponsorship or scholarship tickets). Instead, workshop leaders forgo some or all of their compensation in order to make workshop participation as inclusive as possible. You select the seat most appropriate for your circumstances. We do not ask for income verification. Learning is greatest when there is trust and accountability. By honoring the sliding scale, we support each other.
The highest price is the actual cost of the workshop. It is appropriate for you if:
- you do not struggle to meet your basic needs such as housing, food, health care, child care
- you spend money on non-essentials (e.g. “wants” like toys, gadgets, books, music, entertainment, dining out, extra clothes, etc.)
- have little to no debt or your debt is manageable
- have personal savings, or own property or other assets
The lowest price seeks to include those folks who would like to participate but are unable to do so because of their economic circumstances. This price is appropriate for you if:
- you regularly struggle but mostly find ways to meet basic needs such as housing, food, health care, child care
- have no income, infrequent income, or are living paycheck to paycheck with significant debt
- have no access to savings or other financial assets
The middle price seeks to include those folks who would like to participate but are unable to do so because of their economic situation, but whose circumstances don’t quite match those for whom the lowest ticket price is set aside. This price is appropriate for you if:
- have steady income but are struggling to build savings, get out of debt or move away from paycheck to paycheck living
- on average, you do not struggle to meet basic needs such as housing, food, health care, child care
If the lowest price is still financially prohibitive, please get in touch and we’ll see if we can figure something out.
Each workshop will have a limited number of tickets available for each price point. Be mindful that if you select a ticket at a lower end of the scale than you can truthfully afford, you are limiting access to others who truly need the flexibility. For a more detailed and nuanced description of sliding scale, check out Sliding Scale: A Meditation on Trust from Califia Collective.
Ready to talk?
Questions? Comments? Ready to see how we can help? We're here for you any time.